written by Rebecca Goulter
We’re halfway through Spring and that means one thing – barbeque season is approaching! This may sound sacrilegious for us Queenslanders, but steak isn’t the only meat you can cook to wow your guests. Let’s go for something with a zesty lime twist and uses our favourite summer fruit … mangoes!
This gorgeous BBQ prawn and mango salsa is easy to prepare and a guaranteed hit. Even better news is that you can source all of the ingredients right here at the Saturday Fresh Market! Check out our stallholder recommendations below.
For the prawns
- 16 king prawns, peeled and de-veined
- Half a red chilli, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of half a lime
- 1 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
For the salsa
- 2 ripe mangoes, roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 tbsp cordiander, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Combine all prawn ingredients, except olive oil, in a bowl and mix well. Cover and pop in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Combine all ingredients for the salsa in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- Soak 8 bamboo skewers in a bowl of water for 15 minutes. Dry off and skewer two prawns on each one.
- Pop the BBQ on medium high and fry the prawn skewers for two minutes on each side until fully cooked.
- Get your mango salsa out of the fridge, plate up, and use some of the extra limes to garnish a well-earned Corona!
So where to grab the goods to make this mouth-watering dish? Jim’s Berries and Paul’s Premium Produce are selling bonza mangoes and limes this month. For all your herb needs, visit LTTT Fruit & Veg in Aisle 3, and just around the corner you can find a range of quality olive oils at Olives You! Lastly, king prawns are going for a song at either Rocklea Fresh Seafood (pictured) or Davy Jones Seafood.
TLDR: Visit the Saturday Fresh Market to make your spring barbeque the talk of the town.